How to immigrate to Saskatchewan

There are several ways to pursue your immigration to Canada. Here, we provide you with information about some of these ways and advise that you read through each of them to determine which one is most appropriate for you. Please note the following as you begin your Immigration process to Canada.

Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) 

Your immigration application is processed with a scoring system called the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). Your score in the CRS is dependent on the following criteria:

Your age,

Level of education,

Work experience in and outside Canada,

Ability to adapt to life in Canada,

Whether or not you have a family/relative in Canada,

Level of language proficiency,

Arranged employment, and

Whether or not you have a Provincial Nomination.

Don’t Wait Till Later 

Before we look at the immigration routes, you must know that now is the best time to begin the process, as the process may last a while (months, or even years in some cases). Knowledge of the options available to you, however, helps you avoid/reduce delay, frustration, or denial.

Immigration Routes

Immigration to Canada may be pursued for four basic reasons. They include; permanent residence, visit, work, and study. Note, however, that they are not mutually exclusive, and more than one of them may be combined. Having reached a decision on this, you must then proceed to the application process, which may be done in various ways. The following are some of them:

  • Express Entry Program
  • Family Class Sponsorship
  • The Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP)
  • Canadian Investor Immigration, and
  • Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)



  • Express Entry Program:

Express Entry is a Canadian immigration program that allows qualified workers to live and work in Canada.

The Canadian Immigration agency, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), will be able to examine, recruit, and select immigrants who are skilled and/or have the required requirements under federal economic immigration programs using this system. Under the Express Entry category, there are three programs, which are run by Canada’s immigration agency:

. Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

. Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)

. Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

Let’s look at each of the programs and their requirements.

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP): 

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is an immigration program that is targeted at skilled foreign workers who want to migrate to Canada. The program has some conditions:

– skilled work experience;

– full-time at 1 job: at least 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full-time (1,560 hours);

– equal amount in part-time work: for example, 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1-year full time (1,560 hours);

– demonstrated language ability in English or French; and

– education.

To qualify, you must meet all the basic conditions.

  • Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP):

Like the FSWP, the Federal Skilled Trades Program is for workers qualified in a skilled trade. It is designed for foreign trade workers with work experience in eligible trade occupations. The requirements to qualify for the FSTP are similar to those of the FSWP above. In addition, eligible trade occupations are classified into;

– Major group 72: Industrial, Electrical, and Construction;

– Major group 73:  Maintenance, and Equipment Operation;

– Major group 82: Supervisors and Technicians in Natural Resources, Agriculture;

– Major group 92: Processing and Manufacturing, Utility Supervisors, Central Control Operators;

– Minor group 632- Chefs and Cooks;

– Minor group 633- Butchers and Bakers.


  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC): 

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a permanent immigration scheme that permits people who have worked in Canada for at least a year to apply. It was created for temporary foreign workers and foreign graduates who have relevant job experience in Canada. The requirements for the CEC program are similar to those of the FSWP and FSTP above.



Family Class Sponsorship:

Family unification is still an important part of Canada’s immigration policy.

Families in Canada can sponsor their relatives to permanently relocate to the country.

The sponsor must, however, be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. The sponsor’s spouse and children under the age of 22 are eligible to be sponsored (there are some exceptions to this).

At this time, sponsoring your parents or grandparents is not an option.

However, under the Super Visa category, you can bring them to Canada.



  • Canadian Investor Immigration: 

The Investor Category is for high-net-worth individuals who have previously owned or managed businesses in another country.

Immigrants in this category contribute to Canada’s general growth and prosperity by investing in the Canadian economy.

In Canada, there are two major investor programs: the Federal Investor Program and the Quebec Investor Program.

Both schemes are similar in that they require candidates to have a high net worth and deposit a significant amount of money in an approved investment fund for a 5-year period.

On their applications, investor immigrants can list their spouses and children as dependents.


  • The Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP):

The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) is becoming a more popular means to immigrate to Canada.

Alberta, Ontario, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, and other provinces in Canada have devised their own immigration processes, which typically result in a fast-track process.

Applicants under the PNP category must note that they are normally required to live in a specific province after they arrive in Canada.

Furthermore, to be eligible for most PNPs, you must have a job offer from a Canadian business or employer. Now, let’s look at the Saskatchewan PNP since our focus is on the Province.

  • The SINP: 

The Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) is one of the ways to migrate to Canada. Saskatchewan, as you may already know, is one of the Provinces in Canada. And under the SINP, the province does two things; it invites residency applications from non-Canadians who want to make Saskatchewan their home; and it nominates successful applicants to the Canadian government for permanent residency in Canada, precisely in Saskatchewan.

Permanent Residency Application

It should be noted that the SINP is just one of the steps in the process of pursuing a permanent residency in Saskatchewan, and Canada. If the SINP application is approved, applicants must also apply for residency with the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), the Canadian Immigration Commission. Successful applicants in the SINP apply for residency with the IRCC as Saskatchewan nominees.

The benefits of the SINP

Applying for immigration through the SINP is encouraged as it affords applicants the benefit of the support of provincial immigration officers who provide clear and updated information on requirements. Under the SINP, there are four programs through which your migration can be secured; the international skilled worker, a worker with Saskatchewan work experience, farm owner and operator, and the entrepreneur program.

Accuracy of Information

It is important to ensure the accuracy of all information provided in your application, without which your application might be stalled, and/or denied. The province holds the prerogative to recommend or deny an application, after relevant review. The review will result in one of three things;

  • approval (after which a nomination package with information on next steps will be forwarded to the applicant);
  • ruled ineligible (with a letter to notify the applicant. The applicant may ask for a secondary review.);
  • or marked as misrepresentation, i.e. some information is untruthful (and in this case, the applicant and their representatives will be sent a “procedural fairness letter” with details. They’ll be allowed to provide evidence that misrepresentation was not committed).



  • Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP): 

This immigration route depends solely on the employer, the immigrant has absolutely nothing to do with it. The Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is used when you have secured a job with a Canadian employer. Then an employer in Canada will be required to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before recruiting you as a foreign worker. A positive LMIA indicates that a foreign worker with the job offer can then apply for a work permit. It also indicates that a foreigner is required to fill the position and that no Canadian worker or permanent resident is currently available to do the job.