Spousal and Dependent Sponsorship

One of the pathways to the Saskatchewan PNP (SINP) is Family Sponsorship.

Family unification is still an important part of Canada’s immigration policy. Residents of Saskatchewan can sponsor their relatives to permanently relocate to the province. The sponsor must, however, be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Saskatchewan. The sponsor’s spouse and children under the age of 22 are eligible to be sponsored (there are some exceptions to this). A sponsor may not be able to sponsor parents or grandparents under this category, but under the Super Visa category, parents and grandparents can be sponsored to Saskatchewan.

Applicants to the SINP can claim points if they and/or their accompanying spouse have a close family relative that is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident “living in Saskatchewan”. Please note that a close family relative only includes you if you are a parent, sibling, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, first cousin, or a step-family member or in-law of the same relationships.

There are a number of situations that can mar or make your sponsorship application.

  • False Claims

Please note that it is crucial that you and/or representative provide only genuine information and claims. If you claim points fraudulently, your application will be rejected and the applicant will be suspended from applying to the SINP for up to five years.

  • Saskatchewan Labour Market

Family members who are residents of Saskatchewan can help support your application to the SINP, by connecting you to job opportunities in Saskatchewan and helping with settlement. In the International Skilled Worker category of the SINP, eligibility points are assigned to applicants who have connections to the Saskatchewan labour market. In other words, applicants who have job offer from Saskatchewan employer or business. Without a job offer, an applicant must apply through the Expression of Interest (EOI).

  • Saskatchewan Job Offer

Applicants are assigned points for; a job offer (30 points), settlement support from a close family member in Saskatchewan (20 points), past work experience in Saskatchewan, and past study experience in Saskatchewan. These factors help to increase your application’s chances of an approval, and helps approved applicants to easily settle in Saskatchewan as permanent residents. Your Saskatchewan-based close family member can help with your search for a job to support your application. You can find useful information on “Saskjobs.ca”, which is the largest job site in the province. On the site, there are job postings in entry-level, trade, professional, and management positions. And vacancies are listed by occupation and location (region).

  • Licensing (if applicable)

Nominations issued for Occupation “NOC 7511 – Transport Truck Drivers” will require that you provide ‘proof of the necessary licensing and endorsements from Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI)’ to maintain your nomination. In most cases, the type of vehicle you drive on the job will determine the licence and endorsements you will need. You must provide proof that you’ve completed the ‘Mandatory Entry-Level Training (MELT)’, and that you have a ‘valid Class 1A licence issued by SGI’ to drive; power units and semi-trucks, trucks with trailer(s) or vehicle(s) in tow – where the gross vehicle weight of the towed unit(s) is more than 4,600 kg. A valid Class 2A licence issued by the SGI is required for all other types of transport trucks.


To be eligible for this category of the SINP program, you must provide proof that you have a close relative in Saskatchewan, “who is willing, ready, and able to support your application”. The following are considered as close relatives:

  • a parent;
  • a sister or brother;
  • an aunt or uncle;
  • a niece or nephew;
  • a first cousin;
  • a grandparent; or
  • step-family member/in- law of the same relationship.

Your close relative in Saskatchewan must provide proof that they are able to support your application and settlement in Saskatchewan after you arrive in the Province. This can be proved by providing the following:

  • a birth certificate, marriage certificate and/or any other official government, education or religious documents, which proves your relationship to the relative. The Saskatchewan Immigration Nominee Program does not accept affidavits.
  • a copy of the relative’s Canadian permanent resident or citizenship card, or Canadian passport.
  • proof that the close relative has been resident in Saskatchewan for at least the last one year and is financially independent. To prove financial independence, applicant’s relative must provide the following:
    • utility bills from the last one year from SaskPower, SaskEnergy or a city or town office. (telephone, cellular or cable bills are not acceptable);
    • Saskatchewan Health Card or driver’s licence;
  • Proof that the close relative is a registered tenant of a Saskatchewan address (a lease agreement and rental receipts or a proof of ownership). It should include the names of other occupants at this address and applicants relationship to them; and
  • Proof of receipt of income for at least the last three months.

If the close relative has children between the ages of 5 and 17, you may be asked for copies of their enrolment in the Saskatchewan education system. It is important to note that;

  • close relatives can support only one application at a time.
  • one household can support only one application at a time. If a close relative is already supporting a SINP application, they can’t support another application until the nominee they are supporting has lived and worked in Saskatchewan for at least six months.

In this case, an applicant must include documents from the close relative regarding their previously supported applicant. Documents must show that previously supported applicants have settled in Saskatchewan. To prove this, a close relative must provide:

  • proof of Permanent Resident status,
  • Canadian citizenship card,
  • permanent resident card, or
  • Canadian passport.

Previously supported nominee must be living and working in Saskatchewan for at least the last six months. To prove this, you may provide;

  • utility bills from the last six months from either SaskPower; SaskEnergy; a city or town office (the SINP will not accept telephone, cellular or cable bills);
  • Saskatchewan Health Card or Saskatchewan driver’s licence;
  • proof of registered tenancy in a Saskatchewan address (a lease agreement and rental receipts or proof of ownership) and names of other occupants at this address and their relationship to them.
  • proof of employment during the last six months (with copies of pay slips or a letter from their employer confirming employment). The letter must be on company’s  letterhead.

Translation And Translator

Documents to be submitted must be clear and easy-to-read. If any documents are not in English or French, you must provide;

  1. Copy of the original.
  2. Copy of English or French translation. Translations must satisfy all federal requirements.
  3. A Translator Affidavit, which proofs the translator’s capacity to act as translator.

There are certain conditions to be fulfilled by translators, It includes;

  • translator must be certified by a regulatory body approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  • translator must not be a family member of the applicant,
  • translator must not be a spouse of the applicant, and
  • translator must not be anyone who works for the applicant or who is a paid consultant or representative handling your application.


An applicant must provide all necessary documents in order to prove;

  • identity,
  • work experience,
  • academic credentials, and
  • language ability.

Required Documents

  1. Generic Application Form for Canada (must be filled by the main applicant only).
  2. Additional Family Information Form (must be filled by both the main applicant and the spouse).
  3. Schedule A – Background/Declaration (must be filled by both the main applicant and spouse).
  4. Additional Dependents/Declaration (if you have more than five dependants/children).
  5. Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (if you have a common-law partner).
  6. Use of a Representative form (if you are using an Immigration Representative).
  7. Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual (if you are designating someone to contact SINP on your behalf).
  8. Translation- If any documents are not in English or French, you must provide;
  9. Copy of the original.
  10. Copy of English or French translation. Translations must satisfy all federal requirements.
  11. A Translator Affidavit, which proofs the translator’s capacity to act as translator.


Your passport must be valid through the entire application process, from submission of application to obtaining permanent residency and must include copies of pages in your passport that reflect the passport number, date of issue, expiry date, photo, name and place of birth for:

  1. The main applicant
  2. Your spouse or common-law partner.
  3. All dependent children traveling with you to Saskatchewan.

If you are living in a country that is not your nationality, you must include a copy of your visa for that country.

Language Requirements

An applicant must show proof that their language proficiency matches the required level. This can be proved by providing a valid language test result. Test results must;

  • be from an approved testing agency.
  • have English and/or French language ability score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 or higher.
  • be less than two years old at the time of your application.

Approved Testing Agencies and Score:


  1. The International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Listening- 4.5, Reading- 3.5, Writing- 4, Speaking- 4.

  1. The Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP-General)

Listening- 4, Reading- 4, Writing- 4, Speaking- 4.


  1. The Test d’évaluation de français (for French language)

Listening- 145, Reading- 121, Writing- 181, Speaking- 181.

  1. The Test de connaissance du français pour le Canada (TCF Canada)

Listening- 331, Reading- 342, Writing- 4, Speaking- 4.

Identity and Civil Status Documents

  • applicant’s birth certificate that reflects both parents
  • applicant’s spouse o common-law partner birth certificate that reflects both parents
  • each dependent’s birth certificate that reflects both parents
  • applicant’s marriage certificate (if married), and
  • a death certificate of a former spouse (if widowed).

Should an applicant be in a common-law relationship they must provide:

  1. IMM 5409 Declaration of Common-Law Union.
  2. Proof of at least one year of common-law relationship, which may include; bank statement showing a joint account, trust, credit union or charge card account; copy of your signed joint lease or mortgage; copy of jointly-owned property (different from your residence); copy of bills made to both of you; or copy of life insurance that lists the other partner as the beneficiary.

If you or your spouse is divorced, you must provide:

  1. Final documents for all divorces.
  2. Documents for Custody and child support (if applicable).
  3. Adoption papers for all dependent children who were adopted.

If you have dependent children, you must include:

  1. A letter from the other parent indicating that they know of your intention to immigrate to Canada (with or without the child/children), and that there are no pending custody or child support issues.
  2. Proof of custody for each child and proof that you are legally allowed to travel with the child/children from your home country.

If you have dependent children that are not traveling with you to Canada, you must include:

  1. Their name, age and contact details (mailing address, email address, and phone number).
  2. A document stating the reason why each dependent child is not traveling with you.

Previous Work Experience in Saskatchewan

If you want to receive points for previously working in Saskatchewan, you must provide documentation demonstrating that you spent at least a year working there in the previous five years.

Reference letters, written on the official letterhead of your former employer(s), are required. The letter(s) must be signed by an official company representative (identified by name and title), with details about the following:

  • applicant’s job position,
  • dates of employment, and
  • applicant’s main duties/responsibilities.

Previous Study Experience in Saskatchewan

Study-time completed in Saskatchewan may be eligible for extra points, however remotely completed studies are not eligible. If you want to receive points for your time spent studying in Saskatchewan, you must complete and submit the following paperwork:

  • education/trade certificates, degrees or diplomas, with official transcripts (if applicable), with details of institution(s) attended and courses taken;
  • a letter from the registrar stating that you studied at a Saskatchewan institution.