Documents Required for Study Permit

All foreign nationals who want to study in Saskatchewan for longer than six months are required by the country’s immigration laws to apply for a study permit. A study permit in itself is not a visa that let a foreigner enter Canada, submitting a study permit application lets the immigration officer assess the genuineness of a student and their intentions to leave Saskatchewan after studies. A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program with extra 90 days or the duration of your travel document with some exceptions. Getting required documents in order might be able to help you submit an error-free and complete application. Here are some documents that you will need to apply for a study permit:
  • Letter of  admission offer/acceptance
  • Travel document/Passport
  • Proof of Financial support (Bank Statements, a Canadian bank account in your name, a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating financial institution, proof of a student loan)
  • Statement of Purpose or letter of explanation
  • Police certificate (of states lived in for more than 6 months in the past 5 years)
  • Proof of intending residence in Canada (Ideally, your school’s residence deposit or payment receipt or receipt and address of off-campus residence)
  • Proof of paid Tuition (This could be full tuition or deposit)
  • Immigration forms (This will depend on your situation. for instance if you are in a relationship or married, you might need to complete the statutory declaration of common-law union form, i.e. IMM 5409)
After submitting your application, you may be asked to go for medical exams and biometrics. Endeavor to do so within the stipulated time to avoid delays in your application processing. You may want to find out the more country-specific requirements for study permit here