When to apply for Study Visa

You normally will not need a study permit to study while in Canada with a visiting visa, since your stay is temporary. In other words, for short-term study, less than 6months, you do not need a study permit, except if you are going to work in the institution where the study is taking place. What this means is that since your stay is temporary (maximum of 6 months), you cannot register for a study that will last more than 6 months.

Foreigners who want to engage in academic, professional, vocational or other education or training that is more than 6 months in duration at a designated learning institution (DLI) must possess a study permit to do so. So, if you enter Canada with a visiting visa and want to engage in any post-secondary education or training that will exceed 6 months, you must apply for a study permit.

Only in the following areas are you not required to possess a study permit:

  1. pre-school (pre-kindergarten),
  2. minor children (below 18 years in Saskatchewan) with parents with valid study or work status, Citizens, Permanent Residents or refugee claimants
  3. courses of general interest or self-development,
  4. distance learning, or
  5. audited courses (academic course for which you’re not obtaining credit,
  6. Family members and members of the private staff of accredited foreign representatives,
  7. Members of the armed forces of a country designated for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act
  8. Short-term courses
  9. Registered Indians