Apply for Visitor Record

A visitor record is a document that a border services officer may issue to you to extend or restrict your stay in Canada.

You may also get a visitor record if you apply to extend your stay or restore your status and the application was approved. A visitor record can either be issued by the Canada Border Services Agency or Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Conditions for Visitor Record

  • You need to apply for a visitor record when:
    • you first arrive at the port of entry and you know you want to stay longer than 6 months; or
    • you’re in Saskatchewan and decide you want to stay longer. You are required by law to apply at least 30 days before your authorized stay expires.
  • It’s an independent document and will not be placed in your passport.
  • It includes an expiry date for your stay in Canada, i.e. the date by which you must leave Saskatchewan and Canada.

Application Process

To extend your visiting visa, you are advised to apply online as it helps to make the process faster than doing paper application, and it also helps you save courier cost that may apply if you use paper application. You should use paper application only if you’re physically unable to apply online or if the online application is not going through. However, if you already submitted a paper application, you do not need to reapply online.

  1. To apply online, you will need a scanner or camera to enable you create and upload relevant documents online. You will also need your credit or debit card for payment of the relevant fees.
  2. To apply online, you must answer some preliminary questions that enable the system to generate your personalized documents checklist. For instance, when asked;
    • “What would you like to do in Canada?” Answer= “Visit”.
    • “What is your current country/territory of residence?” Answer= “Canada”
  3. You will need to create your online account or sign-in if you already have one. It is through your online account that you;
    • pay your fees,
    • submit your application, and/or
    • check your status.

The average processing time for your extension application is 171 days. However, if a decision is yet to be made on your application when your original time to leave expires, you are allowed to stay legally until a decision is reached. If your processing time passes without a decision on your application, you should contact the relevant authority.